We operate an inclusion and equality policy and ensure that all children have access to nursery places and services irrespective of their gender, race, disability, religion or belief or sexual orientation of parents.
Lock down procedure
We will use the lock down procedure when the safety of the children and staff is at risk and we will be better placed inside the current building, with doors and windows locked and blinds/curtains drawn.
We will activate this emergency procedure in response to several situations, but some of the more typical might be:
- A report incident or disturbance in the local community (with potential to pose a risk to staff and children in the nursery)
- An intruder on the nursery site (with potential to pose a risk to staff and children in nursery)
- A warning being received regarding a risk locally, of air pollution (smoke plumes, gas cloud etc.)
- A major fire or explosion in the vicinity of the nursery – if it is safer staying in the premises than leaving.
- Knife or gun incident in the local area
In this case the staff will be notified by the following action:
- Wherever possible the Childcare Manager will inform /alert room leaders in a discreet manner that lock down is in process.
- All individuals (including children) will remain in the area they are in, if safe to do so.
- If the children are outside, staff are to promptly and calmly direct children into the building, if this will not endanger them.
- Staff will make efforts to close and lock doors wherever safe to do so.
- All individuals will keep away from the windows and doors and children will be occupied in the centre of the room, so they are not placed at risk or are able to see any situation developing outside.
- The childcare Manager will ensure all children, staff and visitors are accounted for and safe before returning to the office area to keep up to date with the current situation via updates.
- The manager on duty will manage the situation dependant on the situation and the information available.
- If the nursery is in immediate danger of an intruder, the police will be called as a matter of urgency.
- In other cases where the situation has been alerted by the police or local area authority then the nursery will await further instructions.
Once the all clear has been given externally the manager will issue the all clear internally. After this time the staff will try to return to normal practice to enable the children not to be disrupted or upset by the events.
Any children showing worries or concerns will have one to one time with their key person to talk about these.
Parents will be informed about the situation at the earliest safest opportunity and will be kept updated when the information changes.
After the event a post-incident evaluation will be conducted to ensure that each child and staff member was supported fully, and the procedure went as planned.
The staff team will practice Lock Down Drills once a term, and as with Fire Drills and Emergency Evacuation Drills these will be recorded.
|This policy was adopted on||Signed on behalf of the nursery||Date for review|
|3rd September 2019||01/09/20|
Issued September 2019, to be reviewed annually