EYFS: 3.62, 3.73
At Lemongrove Nursery we are committed to promoting children’s safety and welfare. In the unlikely event of a child going missing within/from the nursery, we have the following procedure which will be implemented immediately:
Throughout the day staff will keep a tally of the number of children in their care. This will be supported by signing in and out forms at the main entrance and individual room registers. There will be good lines of communication between the office and the rooms to inform staff if, for example, a child is leaving the setting to go to appointments, a child is leaving earlier than usual.
- All staff will be aware of the procedure for when a child goes missing and takes immediate action.
- The Childcare Manager will be informed immediately, and all staff present in the building will be informed in a quiet professional manner by the child’s Room Leader. Staff are expected to remain claim and professional.
- The Childcare Manager will take charge.
- The staff working with the child will be asked to provide a detailed description of clothing.
- Some staff will be deployed to start an immediate thorough search of the nursery, followed by a search of the surrounding area, whilst ensuring that some staff remain with the other children, so they remain supervised, calm and supported throughout
- The Childcare Manager will call the police as soon as they believe the child is missing and follow police guidance.
- The parents of the missing child will also be contacted
- The Childcare Manager will gather information to support the search, e.g. a recent photograph of the child and details of when the child was missing. Time, location, in whose supervision and care.
- A second search of the area will be carried out
- During this period, available staff will be continually searching for the missing child, whilst other staff maintain as near to normal routine as possible for the rest of the children in the nursery
- The Childcare Manager will meet the police and parents
- The manager will then await instructions from the police
- In the unlikely event that the child is not found the nursery will follow the local authority and police procedure
- Any incidents must be recorded in writing as soon as practicably possible including the outcome, who was lost, time identified, notification to police and findings
- Ofsted must be contacted and informed of any incidents
- With incidents of this nature, parents, carers, children and staff may require support and reassurance following the traumatic experience. Management will provide this or seek further support where necessary
- In any cases with media attention, staff will not speak to any media representatives
- Post-incident risk assessments will be conducted following any incident of this nature to enable the chance of this recurring being reduced
|This policy was adopted on||Signed on behalf of the nursery||Date for review|
|28th August 2019||01/08/20|