EYFS: 3.65, 3.73
At Lemongrove Nursery we are committed to promoting children’s safety and welfare,this includes where children are on outings, trips and visits.
Prior to any outing a member of staff will be named as the Lead practitioner and designated person in charge of the event. This person will be qualified to Level 3 or equivalent and will take the leadership of the group and outing.
We carry out regular head counts of children throughout any outing or visit. In the unlikely event of a child going missing whilst on an outing we have the following procedure which we implement immediately:
- The Lead Practitioner will be informed immediately and all staff present will be informed. The Lead Practitioner will be responsible for delegating tasks. Some staff will be deployed to start an immediate thorough search of the area, ensuring that all other children remain supervised, calm and supported throughout.
- If appropriate, on-site security will also be informed and a description given.
- The Lead Practitioner, in charge will immediately inform the police. Calling 999
- The Lead Practitioner will then inform the nursery, speaking to the Childcare Manager or the most senior practitioner on site, this person will contact the child’s parents giving details of what has happened.
- During this period, staff will be continually searching for the missing child, whilst other staff maintain the safety and welfare of the remaining children.
- It will be the Lead Practitioner or the Manager’s responsibility to ensure that there are adequate staff to care for the children and get them back safe, a member of staff to meet the police and someone to continue the search (this may mean contacting relief staff)
- Any incidents must be recorded in writing as soon as practicably possible including the outcome, who was lost, time identified, notification to police and findings
- In the unlikely event that the child is not found, the nursery will follow the local authority and police procedure
- Ofsted must be contacted and informed of the incident by the Childcare Manager
- With incidents of this nature parents, carers, children and staff may require support and reassurance following the traumatic experience. Management will provide this or seek further support where necessary
- In any cases with media attention staff will not speak to any media representatives
- Post-incident risk assessments will be conducted following any incident of this nature to enable the chance of this recurring being reduced.
|This policy was adopted on||Signed on behalf of the nursery||Date for review|
|13th May 2019||1st April 2020|