EYFS: 3.1, 3.6
At Lemongrove Nursery, we believe that all children need to feel safe, secure and happy.
This involves nursery staff being responsive to children’s needs, whilst maintaining professionalism. During the nursery day this may include giving children cuddles, helping with washing hands & faces, wiping noses and changing children’s nappies or clothes.
To promote good practice and to minimise the risk of allegations we have the following guidelines:
- Although we recognise it is appropriate to cuddle children, we give cuddles only when sought by children needing comfort to support their emotional development. Staff are advised to do this in view of other children and practitioners.
- We recognise that there may be occasions where it is appropriate for this to happen away from others, such as when a child is ill. In these circumstances, staff are advised to leave the door open with other staff within sight and earshot.
- It is the duty of all staff and the Childcare Manager to ensure that children are appropriately comforted and to monitor practice
- When changing children’s nappies or soiled/wet clothing, we leave the doors open with other staff with sight and ear shot
- We discourage inappropriate behaviour such as over tickling, over boisterous play or inappropriate questions, for example asking children to tell them they love them.
- We advise and expect staff to report any such observed practice to the Childcare Manager and or the Safeguarding Lead.
- Staff are respectful of each other, the children and families in the nursery. We do not use or tolerate inappropriate language or behaviour, including during breaks
- All staff are aware of whistleblowing procedures, and are expected to raise any concerns immediately.
- The Childcare Manager will carry out random checks throughout the day to ensure safe practices.
If a parent or member of staff has concerns or questions about safe care and practice procedures or behaviour they consider as inappropriate, including between staff members, they are urged to contact the Childcare Manager at the earliest opportunity. This maybe in person, by telephone or by email.
The Childcare Manager will challenge inappropriate behaviour in line with the supervision/ disciplinary or whistleblowing procedures.
If the concern relates to the Childcare Manager and/or nursery owner then parents should contact Ofsted: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0300 123 4666 or the local authority children’s social care team, email: email@example.com telephone: 020 8461 7373 / 7309
|This policy was adopted on||Signed on behalf of the nursery||Date for review|
|14th May 2019||15th April 2020|
Issued August 2016, to be reviewed annually