At Lemongrove Nursery we always aim to protect and support the welfare of the children in our care. The Childcare Manager is responsible for all staff, students and relief staff receiving information on health and safety policies and procedures in the nursery in order to supervise the children in their care suitably.
We ensure that children are always supervised adequately, whether children are in or out of the building through:
- Making sure that every child is always within the sight and/or hearing of a suitably vetted member of staff.
- Monitoring staff deployment across the setting regularly to ensure children’s needs are met.
- Ensuring children are always fully supervised when using water play as we are aware that children can drown in only a few centimetres of water
- Taking special care when children are using large apparatus e.g. a climbing frame, and when walking up or down steps/stairs
- Staff will support children to identify, minimise and manage risks in their play
- Making sure staff recognise and are aware of any dangers relating to bushes, shrubs and plants when on visits/outdoors
- Supervising children always when eating; monitoring toddlers and babies closely and never leaving babies alone with a bottle. Room Leaders are responsible for ensuring an appropriate deployment of staff, whose sole job is to engage and supervise meals and snacks.
- Babies are always bottle fed by a member of staff on a one to one basis
- Supervising sleeping babies/children and never leaving them unattended
- Never leaving babies/children unattended during nappy changing times. Staff must ensure that they have gathered all necessary items to the nappy change area prior to laying the child down. Staff must call for help if needed. It is mandatory that children are never left unsupervised.
- Careful supervision of a sick child.
- Supervising children carefully when using scissors or tools, including using knives in cooking activities where this is required
- Increasing staff: child ratios during outings to ensure supervision and safety (please refer to Outings policy)
- Strictly following any safety guidelines given by other organisations or companies relating to the hire of equipment or services e.g. participating in Yoga or Pro-stars and a member of staff MUST always supervise the children.
|This policy was adopted on||Signed on behalf of the nursery||Date for review|
|3rd September 2019||01/09/20|
Issued September 2019, to be reviewed annually