EYFS: 3.4-3.18, 3.20, 3.29
At Lemongrove Nursery we support young workers and apprentices as we foster and shape the workforce of the future. At times there may be students on placement within the nursery.
The EYFS (2017) sets out the requirements for young people working in a setting and we will adhere to these requirements at all times.
Any young person in the setting under the age of 18 is considered a child by law, therefore we will be vigilant towards their safety and well-being. We will provide each young person with a mentor, usually the Room Leader and a buddy within the setting that can support their well-being. Any safeguarding concerns will be dealt with according to our safeguarding policies procedures.
Apprentices aged 17 and over who is employed in our setting on a long term placement and undertaking early education training, will be monitored and assessed to determine their competence levels. If we believe that they are demonstrating the high levels of competence and responsibility we expect from our staff then we may consider including them in our staff ratios.
Any student aged 17 or over who is attending our setting on a long term placement e.g. for more than six months will be monitored and assessed to determine their competence levels. If we believe that they are demonstrating the high levels of competence and responsibility we expect from our staff then we may consider including them in our staff ratios.
Within our nursery we expect our young staff to:
- Read, understand and adhere to all policies
- To begin to understand the differences between school or collage and the working environment.
- Take part in our ongoing staff suitability procedures. Declare any reasons why their suitability to work with children may change during their placement
- Share any safeguarding concerns they may have with their buddy/mentor or the Safeguarding Lead
- Maintain a high standard of work, behaviour, appearance and attendance whilst with the nursery
- Undertake a full induction conducted by the nursery
- Access training as required by the Childcare Manager
- If studying whilst with the setting, undertake all tasks required by the tutor to keep up to date with the course.
- Understand that if coursework falls behind at any point their placement in the setting will be at risk
- Ensure that the nursery environment is safe and secure for all children at all times and report any issues as they arise
- Help with the day to day running of the nursery by undertaking tasks as determined by the Room Leader or Childcare Manager
- Take part in staff meetings and all staff training as required by the nursery.
|This policy was adopted on||Signed on behalf of the nursery||Date for review|
|7th September 2019||01/09/20|